Saturday, December 15, 2012

Advent-December 15


See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, being patient with it until it receives the early and the late rains.  You too must be patient.  Make your hearts firm, because the coming of the Lord is at hand.

James 5:7-8

A legend tells that when the almighty Lord
Proclaimed to Moses his eternal word,
He in a vision showed to him likewise
The treasures that lie stored in Paradise.
And at each one in turn the heavenly voice
Spake:  "This the treasure is, that shall rejoice
His soul who freely gives alms, and here
His portion is who dries the orphan's tear."
Thus one by one were all to him made known,
Until unnamed remained but one alone.
Then Moses said:  "I pray thee, what is this?"
And answer made the Lord most High:  "It is
The treasure of my mercy, freely given
To those who else were treasureless in heaven."

--Talmudic legend

Behold, I cam coming soon, bringing my recompense, to repay for all what they have done.  I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end."

Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and that they may enter the city by the gates.

"I, Jesus, have sent my angel to you with this testimony for the churches.  I am the root and the offspring of David, the bright morning star."

The Spirit and the Bride say, "Come."  And let the hearer say, "Come."  And let the thirsty come, let the one who desires take the water of life without price.

The one who testifies to these things says, "Surely I am coming soon."  Amen.  Come, Lord Jesus!

--Revelation 22:12-14, 16-17, 20

To listen--in faith--to find one's way and have the feeling that, under God, one is really finding it again.

This is like playing blindman's buff:  deprived of sight, I have, in compensation, to sharpen all my other senses, to grope my way and recognize myself as I pass my fingers over the faces of my friends, and thus find what was mine already and had been there all the time.  What I would have known all the time was there, had I not blindfolded myself.

--Dag Hammarskjold

On that day
You need not be ashamed
of all your deeds,
your rebellious actions against me;
For then I will remove from your midst
the proud braggarts,
And you shall no longer exalt yourself
on my holy mountain.
But I will leave as a remnant in your midst
a people humble and lowly,
Who shall take refuge in the name of the Lord:
the remnant of Israel.
They shall do no wrong
and speak no lies;
Nor shall there be found in their mouths
a deceitful tongue;
They shall pasture and couch their flocks
with none to disturb them.

--Zechariah 3:11-13

You who believe that the Son of God once came to us;
you look for him to come again.
May his coming bring you the light of his holiness
and free you with his blessing.

May God make you steadfast in faith,
joyful in hope, and untiring in love
all the days of your life.

You rejoice that our Redeemer came to live with us
as one of us.
When he comes again in glory,
may he reward you with endless life.

--Roman rite

No comments:

Post a Comment