Thursday, April 16, 2015

The future of Christianity is not hipsters

It's David. No, seriously:


There's something very traditional here, with the idea that reason comes from God (see, e.g., Aquinas) and so leads to faith (obviously the pre-Pietist era of Christianity). But the idea that robots will be smarter, and therefore more Christian?  Well, you know, if you can process all information on earth simultaneously, imagine the sermon you could write!

Huh?*

Really, it's just too funny.

Update:  I was going to leave this in comments, but when I finished it I realized it needed to be up here:

There is huge pressure on Protestant pastors to identify and get out ahead of the "Next Big Thing." At one time Joel Osteen was identified as the "Best Preacher in America," so everyone needed to follow his example; or we needed to be a "Purpose Driven Church," a la Rick Warren; or we needed to be the next Mars Hill, or now the "hipster" pastor.

So the leap to robot pastors is not really a surprise; not to me. It's just the logic of the relentless pressure to be "relevant." Every one of those "successes" I mentioned is actually no more absurd or dehumanizing or reductionist about the Gospel than the idea of robot preachers.

It's all a matter of looking for the "silver bullet," the "One" that will save us all. Which is the real irony.....

*I have to be pedantic enough to point out this is classic Reformed theology, with the sermon (the "Word") at the center of worship, as opposed to the Eucharist, the sacrament.  Too Catholic, ya know. And the beat goes on, with a robo-drummer......

4 comments:

  1. That was about the lamest Daily Show segment I've ever seen. I'll have to look up the robot guy sometime, sounds like an update waiting to be written.

    As for "the future of Christianity" if it's going to be hip I'd think House for All Sinners and Saints in Denver is a better model. I like its pastor. Love the tattooed, hate the tatts.

    http://onbeing.org/program/nadia-bolz-weber-seeing-the-underside-and-seeing-god-tattoos-tradition-and-grace/5896

    ReplyDelete
  2. That entire piece seemed like (poor) performance art, and nothing more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is huge pressure on Protestant pastors to identify and get out ahead of the "Next Big Thing." At one time Joel Osteen was identified as the "Best Preacher in America," so everyone needed to follow his example; or we needed to be a "Purpose Driven Church," a la Rick Warren; or we needed to be the next Mars Hill, or now the "hipster" pastor.

    So the leap to robot pastors is not really a surprise; not to me. It's just the logic of the relentless pressure to be "relevant." Every one of those "successes" I mentioned is actually no more absurd or dehumanizing or reductionist about the Gospel than the idea of robot preachers.

    It's all a matter of looking for the "silver bullet," the "One" that will save us all. Which is the real irony.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard a lot of little to unknown pastors of churches, lay preachers and even just folks who are better preachers than those in the Hollywood school of homiletics.

    I didn't think of it while I was writing it but I will add an update to my post today noting your piece. I'm still groggy from my day surgery.

    ReplyDelete