Wednesday, November 30, 2016

"Binding up the wounded"

I'm not on Facebook, but I can link you to this man's Facebook page.  At least I hope that link is a permanent one.  If not, the story is also at HuffPost.  Like that story did, I want to highlight this part from that post:

It wasn’t about demonstrating my outrage to right-wing drivers driving down Esters Road in front of the mosque. I can never, and will never, change any of the haters. It’s not about them. Not this time, and not here. This was about binding up the wounded. About showing compassion and empathy for the hurting and fearful among us. Or, in some Christian traditions, this was about washing my brother’s feet. This was about my religion, not theirs. And, it was about what I think I must do as an American when our way of life is threatened. Targeting people for their religion not only threatens our way of life, it is the polar opposite of our way of life.
It's a fine message for Advent.

2 comments:

  1. I have stumbled across a daily Advent devotional that is different, well, really different from the the little booklet of devotionals handed out year at church. They are very direct, the language will offend some (given the series is #Fuckthisshit it doesn't hide the fact), but they also thoughtful and tied to each day's biblical passage. When the devotionals have lines like "We walk about not giving a fuck about anyone but ourselves; choosing charity over justice because we want to feel good but not lose our standard of living or our privileges." and "That hour, when God unexpectedly broke into our world. That hour, God broke into our world as a baby in a manger, not clothed in majesty and power, but in the unexpectedness of utter humility, helplessness, and vulnerability." It won't be for everyone, but I already feel more pushed and shaken on my faith at day 5 then I will with all 4 weeks of the traditional devotionals. Here is Day 3 as an example. https://medium.com/fuckthisshit/fuckthisshit-day-three-6c34186a0fc#.ccq0j28ti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete